Development Management Committee
Purpose of committee
The Development Management Committee deals with all of the Council’s functions relating to planning and development control. It makes decisions on planning applications, including those which relate to listed buildings or buildings in conservation areas, and can authorise enforcement action against work which has been carried out without planning permission. It also has duties and powers relating to the preservation of trees and hedgerows and the protection of listed buildings.
Terms of reference
Functions relating to town and country planning and development control.
Terms of Delegation
1. Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and any related legislation including:
a) determination of planning applications (subject to 2 below);
b) enforcement of planning control; and
c) waste land notices, purchase notices, etc.
2. The only planning matters that are dealt with by the Committee are:
a) Applications on which two or more material planning objections have been received in the stipulated time span, which has not been resolved by negotiation or through the imposition of conditions and which Officers wish to support.
b) Applications which any Councillor requests in writing within 21 days of the circulation of the details of the application on the Weekly List, with a valid planning reason for bringing it to the Committee.
c) Major planning applications, which Officers, in consultation with theChair, consider are likely to be of significant public interest.
d) Applications submitted by or on behalf of the Council for its own development.
e) Applications which are notified to Planning Services as being submitted by or on behalf of a Councillor of the Authority (or his or her spouse/partner), the MP for the district, the MEP for the district or Officers at Service Head Level or above, as considered necessary by any of the above Officers.
3. Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas Act 1990
a) Determination of applications for Listed Buildings and Conservation Area consent.
b) Enforcement of Listed Building and Conservation Area legislation.
4. To consider and determine the Council's comments where appropriate on major development outside the district when consulted by other Local Planning Authorities.
5. To hear and determine appeals against the making of Tree Preservation Orders.
Meetings are open to members of the public, except for when confidential information is being considered.
Members of the public, applicants and agents can address the Committee on individual planning applications. For more information, please see Rule 19 of the Council Rules of Procedure from the Council’s Constitution.
- Councillor Phil Waite (Chair)
- Councillor Jean Clark (Vice-Chair)
- Councillor Bob Davis
- Councillor Tony Edwards
- Councillor Michael Garnett
- Councillor Michael Hardware
- Councillor Maggie Hulcoop
- Councillor Sue Livings
- Councillor Clive Souter
- Councillor Simon Carter (Reserve)
- Councillor Tony Hall (Reserve)
- Councillor Andrew Johnson (Reserve)
- Councillor Stefan Mullard (Reserve)
- Councillor John Strachan (Reserve)
Support officer: Adam Rees.
Phone: (01279) 446057